Augustinian Academy is located in the community of Carthage, New York. We are only minutes from Fort Drum and Watertown. Our student population is diverse and includes students from the neighboring communities of Lowville, Copenhagen, Black River, Philadelphia, Beaver River, and Fort Drum.
We have a preschool program for 3 and 4 year-olds, and classes for kindergarten thru eighth grade. Our teachers are highly qualified and follow the standards for NYS, as well as those for the Diocese of Ogdensburg. Besides regular classroom instruction, we offer classes in general music, instrumental lessons, computer and technology, physical education and art.
In addition to classrooms, our facility includes a full-sized gym, cafeteria, computer lab, science lab, library, and playground. The St. James Roman Catholic Church and the Sisters of Saint Joseph Convent are located next to the school building.
Carthage Augustinian Academy has had a long and illustrious history since its beginnings in 1885 with classes in Christian Doctrine being taught in the attic of St. James Rectory. St. James’ Minor Grade School, grades one through nine, opened in 1886 and in 1889, the first high school class of five members graduated. Augustinian has never been a school to settle for less than excellence. By 1895, it was the first school in the diocese and the third in the state to receive a charter from the New York State Board of Regents! In 1909, it became "Augustinian Academy", a name we retain to this day.
For over 135 years, Augustinian Academy has been a Catholic School founded in the tradition of the Sisters of St. Joseph. Today we have an outstanding faculty and staff under the guidance and leadership of Sister Suanne Johnson our principal.
St. James Parish has held Catholic education as one of its special priorities. The parish rebuilt the school twice - once after a fire in 1909, and again in 1936. In 1956, an elementary wing was built to house the primary and elementary grades with both a gymnasium and cafeteria, still well used and enjoyed today! When our high school had to close in 1972 because of fewer teaching Sisters, lower enrollment and lack of funds, Augustinian carried on by opening a kindergarten in 1975, which is very much part of our school today. In 1989, a preschool program began.
Today, Augustinian Academy continues its fine tradition of academic excellence rooted in the Catholic faith and strong family values. Our strong academic curriculum is taught by qualified teachers and assisted by dedicated volunteers. Our students are not only expected to strive for academic excellence, but are also expected to strive for growth in personal excellence by developing a strong spiritual life marked by compassion and concern for others, and personal responsibility for one's choices and actions. Our school program regularly offers opportunities for reaching out to others. As our students grow in their relationship with God and their neighbors, they truly become a family, intimately connected to one another.